PREP: 10 MINS COOK: 25 MINS EASY SERVES 4
This gutsy dish is genuine street food and a brilliant family dish for brunch, lunch or supper.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 onions, sliced
- 1 red or green pepper, halved deseeded and sliced
- 1-2 red chillies, deseeded and sliced
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 1-2 tsp caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- small bunch parsley, roughly chopped
- 6 tbsp thick, creamy yogurt
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- Heat the oil in a heavy-based frying pan. Stir in the onions, pepper and chillies. Cook until they begin to soften. Add the tomatoes and sugar, mixing well. Cook until the liquid has reduced, season.
- Using a wooden spoon, create 4 pockets in the tomato mixture and crack the eggs into them. Cover the pan and cook the eggs over a low heat until just set.
- Beat the yogurt with the garlic and season. Sprinkle the menemen with parsley and serve from the frying pan with a dollop of the garlic-flavoured yogurt.